My mom always liked soups and creams, but I'm not very fond of them, but since childhood I always liked green plantain cream. When I visit Miami I always have to make a stop at the Versailles Cuban Restaurant on Calle Ocho but when I'm in my Island, Puerto Rico I like to prepare at home.
I do not like to complicate myself in the kitchen so I try to make this recipe as simple as possible, using frozen tostones and the broth that is ready to use. All my life I had prepared the cream with meat broth, but as I am making some changes in my diet I decided to use vegetable broth.
Recipe for Green plantain cream
3 green plantains
8 cups of vegetable stock
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 teaspoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional- to decorate at the time of serving you can use scallions and fried green plantains in thin strips or wheels.
Preparation step by step:
1. In a blender place the onion, garlic and vegetable stock.
2. Place the mixture in a pot and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat and add the peeled green plantains into small pieces, I decided to use frozen plantains, and chop them into four parts each. Add the peeled and chopped carrot into small pieces, cumin and the rest of the broth, salt and pepper to taste. As I like oregano I added a little.
3. Cover the pot, over medium low heat and cook for half an hour or until the plantains are soft.
4. Already cooked, let cool to place the broth in the blender and puree.
5. Add the cream to the pot and cook for 10 minutes. If you don't want it so thick, you can add more broth or water.
6. Serve hot and put cilantro, onion and fried green plantains.