Most little girls at one point or another enjoy sitting next to their mother looking up at her as she gets ready. While my mom had a habit of getting pampered in beauty salons and spas she also took it upon herself to maintain a routine of her own at home. One of my most cherished mother-daughter memories growing up is the time we spent in her bathroom where we sat in front of her vanity to girl-talk. Whether it was skincare or make-up, she always walked me through her routine as if it were a tutorial like the ones on YouTube today. Now, as a woman versus that little girl or teenager that I was I see the importance and even the beauty in passing down beauty advice from a mother to her daughter.
These are ten of the many beauty tips I learned from my mom...
1. ALWAYS remove your make-up before going to bed. No matter how tired you feel.
2. Moisture your face and body EVERY morning and night. Use a moisturizer with SPF for the daytime.
3. Apply your make-up according to your age, whether it's day or night, and the occasion.
4. Keep your eyebrows trimmed and tame them with vaseline or a clear gel mascara.
5. Translucent powder can be used as more than just a setting powder. Apply to face without foundation to control shine and filter fine lines and visible pores.
6. Fill your waterline with a white eyeliner and use a darker shade of eyeliner on the outside of your lower waterline to make your eyes appear bigger.
7. Give your face a break from make-up every now and then but always keep up with your skincare.
8. Learn your skin type and face shape to know which skincare products and make-up looks work best for you.
9. Smile, because a smile always makes everyone more beautiful.
10. Embrace your freckles, rosy cheeks, and another other beauty mark you may consider a flaw. It's part of what makes your beauty unlike no other.
The most important of all the beauty tips my mom has shared is something many of us may hear often but struggle to actually apply and live by. One's beauty comes from within. We must love and accept ourselves as we are. Make-up allows us to enhance our natural beauty and transform our looks from one to another. However, our inner beauty is what truly stands out and makes us shine when we wipe it all off.